Samoa Sessional Legislation
ARMS AMENDMENT ACT (No.2) 2006
Arrangement of Provisions
1. Short title and commencement
2. Principal Act
3. Insertion of new section
4. Authorising disposal of firearms, etc. detained by police
2006, No. 11
AN ACT to amend the Arms Ordinance 1960.
[21st July 2006]
BE IT ENACTED by the Legislative Assembly of Samoa in Parliament assembled as follows:
1. Short title and commencement - (1) This Act may be cited as the Arms Amendment Act (No. 2) 2006.
(2) This Act shall come into force on the date of assent of the Head of State.
(3) Notice of commencement of this Act shall be published in Samoan and English in the Savali and one other newspaper circulating in Samoa.
2. Principal Act - in this Act, "Principal Act" means the Arms Ordinance 1960.
3. Insertion of new section - After section 9 of the Principal Act, the following section is inserted:
"9A Amensty - (1) The Minister may from time to time in writing declare a firearm amnesty period.
(2) A person who hands a firearm in at a police station during a firearm amnesty period does not commit the offence under section 9 of being in possession of a firearm without a certificate of registration for that firearm.
(3) A person who hands ammunition, explosives or dangerous weapons in at a police station during a firearm amnesty period does not commit the offence under section 13 of carrying or being in possession of that ammunition, explosive or dangerous weapon except for a lawful, proper and sufficient purpose.
(4) Any firearm, ammunition, explosive or dangerous weapon handed in during a firearm amnesty period may immediately be disposed of in such manner as the Commissioner may direct."
4. Authorising disposal of firearms, etc. detained by police - Section 25 of the Principal Act is amended by omitting "for not less than 2 years" and substituting "for not less than 6 months".
The Arms Amendment Act (No. 2) 2006 is administered in the Ministry of Police, Prison and Fire Services