Tuvalu Sessional Legislation
CITIZENSHIP (AMENDMENT) ACT 2007
Act 7 of 2007
Rev. Sir Filoimea Telito
Date 30th November 2007
AN ACT to amend the Citizenship Act to enable Tuvalu citizens to have more than one citizenship and other connected purposes.
ENACTED by Parliament of Tuvalu-
Short Title and Commencement
1. This Act may be cited as the Citizenship (Amendment) Act 2007.
2. This Act shall come into force on such date as the Prime Minister may by notice appoint.
Amendments to the Citizenship Act
3. The Citizenship Act is amended as follows -
(1) Section 4 (1) is amended by deleting 'all Secretaries and Assistant Secretaries' and inserting, Secretary for Home Affairs, Registrar of Companies, Principle Immigration Officer.
(2) Section 5 (3) is amended by deleting the whole of paragraph 2.
(3) Section 9 is amended by repealing it in its entirety and replacing with the following:
s. 9 (1) Every Tuvalu citizen may be a citizen of another country, and except for a person who is a Tuvalu citizen by operation of law, a Tuvalu citizen may be deprived of his Tuvalu citizenship.
(2) Any person having lost his Tuvalu citizenship and who desires to regain such citizenship shall apply to the Citizenship Committee for the grant of Tuvalu citizenship either by registration or naturalization:
Provided that the number of years' ordinarily residence in Tuvalu specified in section 6 (4) (a) shall in the case of an application under this section be 5 years instead of 7 and shall not include any period before Tuvalu citizenship was lost or renounced.
I certify that this is a correct copy of the Bill passed by the Parliament of Tuvalu on the 28th November 2007.
Lily T Faavae
CLERK OF PARLIAMENT
I CERTIFY THAT THIS BILL IS IN ORDER FOR THE ASSENT OF THE GOVERNOR-GENERAL AS REPRESENTATIVE OF THE HEAD OF STATE
Published by exhibition at the public office of the Government this 30 November, 2007.
SECRETARY TO GOVERNMENT