Fiji Sessional Legislation
Download original PDF
REPUBLIC OF FIJI
CRIMES (AMENDMENT) ACT 2018
ACT NO. 5 OF 2018
J. K. KONROTE President
[16 March 2018]
TO AMEND THE CRIMES ACT 2009
ENACTED by the Parliament of the Republic of Fiji—
Short title and commencement
1.—(1) This Act may be cited as the Crimes (Amendment) Act 2018.
(2) This Act comes into force on a date appointed by the Minister by notice in the Gazette.
Section 277 amended
2. Section 277 of the Crimes Act 2009 is amended by deleting "Penalty — Imprisonment for 5 years." and substituting the following—
- (a) for paragraphs (a), (c), (d) and (e) — imprisonment for 5 years; and
- (b) for paragraph (b) — imprisonment for 5 years, or imprisonment for 10 years if the person assaults a police officer in any of the following circumstances—
- (i) he or she bites, spits on or throws at the police officer, or otherwise applies to the police officer a bodily fluid or human or animal faeces;
- (ii) he or she is, or pretends to be, armed with a dangerous or offensive weapon or instrument; or
- (iii) he or she causes bodily harm to the police officer.".
Passed by the Parliament of the Republic of Fiji this 15th day of March 2018.