Vanuatu Consolidated Subsidiary Legislation
Commencement: 1 January 1995
PORT VILA URBAN LAND LEASES SELECTION COMMITTEE RULES
Order 26 of 1995
A committee to be known as the Urban land Leases Selection Committee ("the Committee") is hereby established.
2. Composition and quorum
(1) The Committee shall consist of not more than six and not less than four members.
(2) The members of the Committee shall be −
(a) the First Secretary of the Ministry responsible for lands;
(b) the Director of Lands;
(c) four members appointed by the Minister responsible for lands of whom −
(i) one shall be a Senior Lands Officer nominated by the Director of Lands;
(ii) one shall be a representative of the Port Vila Municipality, nominated by the Port Vila Municipal Council;
(iii) one shall be a representative of the Physical Planning Office, nominated by the Head of that Office;
(iv) one shall be a representative of the Attorney General’s Chambers, nominated by the Attorney General.
(3) The member referred to in subrule (2)(a) shall be the Chairman of the Committee.
(4) The quorum required at each ordinary and extra-ordinary meeting of the Committee shall be four members.
(1) The member referred to in rule 2(2)(c)(i) above shall be the Secretary of the Committee.
(2) The Secretary shall be responsible for arranging all meetings of the Committee and to advise all the members of the Committee not less than five calendar days before an ordinary meeting is due to take place.
4. Functions of the Committee
The Committee shall have the following functions and responsibilities in relation to urban land leases within the Municipality of Port Vila −
(a) to consider on behalf of the Minister responsible for lands all applications for the granting of −
(i) all new leases;
(ii) consents to transfer leases;
(iii) surrender of leases for the creation of new leases; and
(iv) transfer of shares between lessor and lessee companies;
(b) to advise the Minister on any matter in relation to the transactions specified in rule 4(a) above;
(c) to do or perform such other functions or responsibilities as the Minister may from time to time direct or delegate.
5. Powers of the Committee
The Committee shall have the powers to −
(a) do all that is necessary to be done in respect of urban land leases;
(b) grant or refuse any applications;
(c) defer any application and to request better particulars or information to be provided by the applicant.
6. Procedure of meetings
The Committee shall make its own rules about its meetings.
7. Extraordinary meetings
The Committee may hold extraordinary meetings at the request of any person, body corporate or agent who shall lodge such a request with the Secretary and provided that such person, body corporate or agent shall pay the sitting allowances provided in rule 8(1)(b).
8. Allowances to Committee members
(1) The members of the Committee shall be entitled to a sitting allowance at the following rates −
(a) at ordinary meetings −
Chairman – VT 4,000
members – VT 3,000
(b) at extraordinary meetings −
Chairman – VT 6,000
members – VT 5,000
(2) The sitting allowances shall be payable at the end of each meeting.
(3) The sitting allowances payable to each member of the Committee in respect of ordinary meetings shall be backdated to 1st January 1992.