Tonga Sessional Legislation
TAUFA'AHAU TUPOU IV
22nd February, 1991.
TO AMEND THE CONSTITUTION
[21st February, 1991.]
BE IT ENACTED by the King and Legislative Assembly of Tonga in the Legislature of the Kingdom as follows:-
1. (1) This Act may be cited as the Act of Constitution of Tonga (Amendment) Act 1991.
(2) The Act of Constitution of Tonga (Chapter 2), as amended, is in this Act referred to as the Principal Act.
2. Clause 29 of the Principal Act is amended -
(1) by deleting the word "Letters" and substituting therefor the word "Certificates", and
(2) by inserting immediately following the words "hereditary tax allotments" the words "or town allotments.".
3. The Principal Act is amended by inserting the following clause immediately following clause 29 -
"29A. (1) Notwithstanding clause 29 of this Constitution it shall be lawful for the King and the Legislative Assembly to enact specific laws declaring any persons whether or not they have ever resided in Tonga to be or to have become naturalized subjects of Tonga from any date. All persons who are declared to be naturalized subjects of Tonga by any such legislation shall have, and shall be deemed to have had from the effective dates of their naturalizations, the same rights and privileges as other foreigners becoming naturalized subjects of Tonga by the grant to them of Certificates of Naturalization.
(2) For the avoidance of doubt, Clause 20 of this Constitution shall not apply to any laws enacted in pursuance of sub-clause (1).".
Passed in the Legislative Assembly this 21st day of February 1991.