Cook Islands Sessional Legislation
Download original PDF
Examined and certified by:
Clerk of the Parliament
In the name and on behalf of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second I hereby assent to this Act this 26th day of September 2016
An Act to amend the Welfare Act 1989
The Parliament of the Cook Islands enacts as follows—
This Act is the Welfare Amendment Act 2016.
This Act comes into force on the day after the date on which it is assented to by the Queen’s Representative.
This Act amends the Welfare Act 1989.
(1) Section 14(1) of the Act is repealed and substituted with the following subsection -
- “(1) A lump sum allowance is payable for a child, in addition to the child benefit in the following circumstance-
- “(a) If the child is born in the Cook Islands, or is born overseas if the mother of that child is normally resident in the Cook Islands; and
- “(b) There is or will be a child benefit payable in respect of that child; and
- “(c) The application for the lump sum allowance is made within 6 months from the date of birth of the child.
(2) Section 14 is amended by adding the following subsection after subsection (3)—
- “(4) For the purposes of this section normally resident means the mother of the child has actually resided in the Cook Islands in the 12 month period prior to the birth of the child and returns to actually reside in the Cook Islands within 6 months after the birth of the child.
This Act is administered by the Ministry of Internal Affairs.
Printed under the authority of the Cook Islands Parliament—2016.