Consolidated Acts of Samoa 2018
PUBLIC SEAL AND CREST OF SAMOA 1973
Arrangement of Provisions
AN ACT to provide for the form and use of the Public Seal, and of the Crest of Samoa and for related purposes.
[Assent and commencement date: 11 January 1974]
1. Short title – This Act may be cited as the Public Seal and Crest of Samoa Act 1973.
2. Interpretation – In this Act:
“Public Seal” means the Public Seal of Samoa referred to in Articles 29 and 111 of the Constitution.
3. Form of the Public Seal – The Public Seal shall be in the form described in the Schedule to this Act.
4. Custody of the Public Seal – The Public Seal shall be in the custody of the Head of State.
5. Use of the Public Seal – The Public Seal may be used for the authentication of a public document in relation to the Government of Samoa, or for the execution of a document required by law to be executed under the Seal of Samoa.
6. Other Seals – The Head of State, acting on the advice of Cabinet, may approve other seals as official seals of Samoa, and may designate the manner of their use.
7. Crest of Samoa – The official crest or badge of Samoa shall be in the same form as the form of the Public Seal, excluding therefrom the surrounding concentric circles, and the words “The Public Seal of the Independent State of Samoa”.
8. Use of the Crest of Samoa – The Crest of Samoa may be printed or impressed on any official letter, memorandum, report, document or other paper writing issued by the Government of Samoa.
9. Repeal – Section 44 of the Samoa Act 1921 (New Zealand) is repealed as part of the law of Samoa.
A silver shield with the lower two-thirds blue, having thereon 5 silver stars representing the constellation of the Southern Cross, of the same shape and the same relative sizes and dispositions among themselves as in the Flag of Samoa; one half of the upper third depicting a green sea with a green coconut palm issuing therefrom; the shield being surmounted by a gold cross, and superimposed on 2 concentric circles of the world and the olive leaves as in the United Nations Badge, and bearing the subscription of the motto "Faavae i Le Atua Samoa", meaning in the English language "God be the Foundation of Samoa", the whole being contained within surrounding concentric circles between which are inscribed the words "The Public Seal of the Independent State of Samoa.
REVISION NOTES 2008 – 2018
This is the official version of this Act as at 31 December 2018.
This Act has been revised by the Legislative Drafting Division from 2008 – 2018 respectively under the authority of the Attorney General given under the Revision and Publication of Laws Act 2008.
The following general revisions have been made:
(a) Insertion of the commencement date
(b) Other minor editing has been done in accordance with the lawful powers of the Attorney General, where appropriate:
(i) “any” changed to “a/an”
There were no amendments made to this Act since the publication of the Consolidated and Revised Statutes of Samoa 2007.
This Act is administered by
The Ministry of the Prime Minister.