Consolidated Acts of Samoa 2018
UNIVERSITY OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC SCHOOL OF AGRICULTURE ACT 1977
Arrangement of Provisions
UNIVERSITY OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC
SCHOOL OF AGRICULTURE ACT 1977
AN ACT to establish in Samoa the University of the South Pacific School of Agriculture, Alafua, Samoa; and to authorise the establishment of other Schools, institutions or bodies, of the University in Samoa, the granting of leases, and the transfer of other assets to the University of the South Pacific and for related purposes.
[Assent date: 25 August 1977]
[Commencement date: 1 January 1977]
1. Short title and commencement – (1) This Act may be cited as the University of the South Pacific School of Agriculture Act 1977.
(2) This Act is taken to have come into force on 1 January 1977.
2. Interpretation – In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires:
“Alafua College” means and includes the South Pacific Regional College of Tropical Agriculture existing before the coming into force of this Act;
“Government” means the Government of Samoa;
“Land Board” means the Land Board constituted under the Land, Surveys and Environment Act 1989;
“School” means the University of the South Pacific School of Agriculture, Alafua, Samoa established under section 3;
“University” means the University of the South Pacific.
3. Establishment of School in Samoa – There is established in Samoa a School of the University of the South Pacific to be known as the University of the South Pacific School of Agriculture, Alafua, Samoa.
4. Functions of the School – (1) The functions of the School are:
(a) to advance knowledge of agriculture and agricultural science and to disseminate and maintain the same by teaching and research; and
(b) to initiate, plan and implement agricultural research calculated to promote the well-being, needs and interests of the communities of the South Pacific; and
(c) to collect and disseminate scientific information relating to agriculture including the publication of scientific reports and journals; and
(d) to continue to provide and to extend pest-control, animal health and related services for the people of Samoa; and
(e) to advise the Government on agricultural matters; and
(f) to undertake research and provide advisory services for Government, and other authorities, institutions, associations, companies
and other persons.
(2) For the purpose of carrying out its functions, the School has power to do all such acts as appear to it to be requisite, advantageous or convenient for or in connection with the carrying out of its functions or to be incidental to their proper discharge and may carry out any activities in that behalf either alone or in association with any other person or body.
5. Authority to establish Schools, institutions or bodies of University – The University may establish or discontinue at Alafua in Samoa such other Schools, institutions or bodies as may from time to time be agreed upon between the Government and the Council of the University.
6. Land Board authorised to grant leases of Government lands and buildings – Despite any provision in any other enactment, the Land Board is authorised to grant to the University:
(a) a lease of the Government lands described in the Schedule together with any buildings or improvements thereon for a term of up to 60 years from 1 January 1977 on terms agreed upon between the Government and the University; and
(b) a lease over such further area of Government land together with any improvements thereon as may be agreed upon between the Government and the University, the term of such lease to expire on the same date as any lease granted under paragraph (a).
7. Authority to transfer Government assets to University – The Government, as from the date this Act comes into force, may transfer without cost to the University:
(a) all Government assets and equipment installed and used in connection with Alafua College before this Act came into force; and
(b) all income derived by Government for accommodation and use of the Government buildings to be leased to the University under section 6(a).
8. Transitional – (1) As from the date this Act comes into force, a reference in any enactment or document whatsoever to Alafua College shall, unless the
context otherwise requires, be read as a reference to the University of the South Pacific School of Agriculture, Alafua, Samoa.
(2) All regulations, rulings and decisions and all acts of authority of Alafua College so far as they were subsisting before this Act came into force and are by virtue of this Act applicable to any person or body connected with the School, continue to apply to that person or body with full force and effect except so far as they are varied or revoked by the University or by its authority.
(3) Except where contrary to or inconsistent with the provisions of this Act, all rights, obligations, liabilities, contracts and engagements of Alafua College shall, as from the date this Act comes into force, become rights, obligations, liabilities, contracts and engagements of the University.
[Subject to 3 acres (3a.Or.00p.) plus roading being excised].
REVISION NOTES 2008 – 2018
This is the official version of this Act as at 31 December 2018.
This Act has been revised by the Legislative Drafting Division from 2008 to 2018 respectively under the authority of the Attorney General given under the Revision and Publication of Laws Act 2008.
The following general revisions have been made:
(a) Insertion of the commencement date;
(b) Other minor editing has been done in accordance with the lawful powers of the Attorney General, where appropriate:
(i) Present tense drafting style:
- “shall be” changed to “is/are”;
- “shall have” changed to “has”;
- “hereby” removed;
- “is hereby empowered” changed to “may”;
(ii) Removal/replacement of obsolete and archaic terms with plain language: “notwithstanding” changed to “despite”;
(iii) Adopting practice of placing “and” or “or” at the end of each paragraph where appropriate;
(iv) Numbers in words changed to figures.
There were no amendments made to this Act since the publication of the Consolidated and Revised Statutes of Samoa 2007.
This Act is administered by
the Ministry of Agriculture.