Tonga Sessional Legislation
Download original PDF
WHALING INDUSTRY (AMENDMENT) ACT 1979
3rd October, 1979;
BE IT ENACTED by the King and Legislative Assembly of Tonga in the Legislature of the Kingdom as follows:
1. (1) This Act may be cited as The Whaling Industry (Amendment) Act 1979.
(2) The Whaling Industry Act (Chapter 77) as amended is in this Act referred to as the Principal Act.
(3) This Act shall be read and construed as one with the Principal Act.
2. Section 2 of the Principal Act is repealed and a new section substituted as follows: -
"2. The wounding, capture, taking or killing of whales of all species is prohibited unless approved by Privy Council in accordance with section 3."
3. Section 3 of the Principal Act is repealed and a new section substituted as follows: -
"3. His Majesty in Council may make regulations in respect of any exceptions to the prohibition of capture, taking or killing of any species of whales."
4. Section 4 of the Principal Act is repealed and a new section is substituted as follows: -
4. Every person who commits an offence against this Act is liable to a fine, not exceeding five hundred pounds for every whale affected or imprisonment for a term not exceeding three years."