Solomon Islands Sessional Legislation
THE FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION (AMENDMENT) ACT 2000
(NO. 2 of 2000)
Passed by the National Parliament this eleventh day of December 2000.
Assented to in Her Majesty's name and on Her Majesty's behalf this eighteenth day of January 2001.
Date of commencement: see section 1
AN ACT TO AMEND THE FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION ACT IN ORDER TO PROHIBIT THE MANUFACTURE, SALE, CARRIAGE, POSSESSION AND USE OF REPLICA PISTOLS OR OTHER IMITATION FIREARMS AND FOR MATTERS CONNECTED THEREWITH OR INCIDENTAL, THERETO.
ENACTED by the National Parliament of Solomon Islands.
Short title and commencement
1. This Act may be cited as the Firearms and Ammunition (Amendment) Act, 2000, and shall come into operation on such date as the Minister may appoint by notice published in the Gazette.
Amendment of section 2 of Cap. 80
2. Section 2 of the Firearms and Ammunition Act (hereinafter referred to as the "principal Act") is hereby amended by inserting therein immediately after the definition of "firearm licence", the following new definition –
““imitation firearm” means a replica of a pistol or other firearm which has the appearance of a firearm, but which may not be capable of discharging or being adapted for the discharge of any ammunition in the manner described in the definition of firearm and includes an air gun, air rifle, air pistol or toy-guns.”
Insertion of new sections 40A and 40B
3. The principal Act is hereby amended by inserting therein immediately after section 40 of the following new sections as sections 40A and 40B respectively-
“Possession of an imitation firearm
40A. (1) Any person who goes armed with an imitation firearm without lawful excuse is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine of two hundred dollars or to imprisonment for six months or to both such fine and imprisonment.
(2) Any person who goes armed with an imitation firearm by word of mouth or conduct threatens another person in such manner as to cause fear to that other person is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine of five hundred dollars or to imprisonment for one year or to both such fine and imprisonment.
Importation manufacture or sale of imitation firearms prohibited
40B. (1) No person shall import into Solomon Islands or sell or display for sale any imitation firearm in any place in Solomon Islands.
(2) No person shall manufacture for use or sale any imitation firearm.
(3)Any person who contravenes the provisions of subsections (1) or (2) shall be guilty of an offence and liable to a fine of one thousand dollars or imprisonment for one year or to both such fine and imprisonment.”