Pacific Islands Treaty Series
AGREEMENT FOR THE CONTINUED OPERATION OF A SOUTH PACIFIC HEALTH SERVICE MADE BETWEEN THE GOVERNMENT OF NEW ZEALAND, THE GOVERNMENT OF FIJI AND THE WESTERN PACIFIC HIGH COMMISSION
(Wellington, 11 June 1951)
ENTRY INTO FORCE: 11 JUNE 1951
WHEREAS, on the 7th day of September 1946, the Government of Fiji, the Western Pacific High Commission, acting for and on behalf of the Gilbert and Ellice Islands Colony and the British Solomon Islands Protectorate, and the Government of New Zealand, acting in respect of New Zealand’s Island Territories including Western Samoa, desiring to combine for the more effective protection of the health of the people in the Territories under their administration, entered into an Agreement for the establishment of a South Pacific Health Service
AND WHEREAS the said Agreement applies to the Colony of Fiji, and to the several Western Pacific and New Zealand Territories for an on behalf of, or in respect of, which it was signed.
AND WHEREAS, at the request of the Government of Tonga, it was subsequently agreed that the said Agreement should apply also to the Kingdom of Tonga from the 1st day of January, 1947
AND WHEREAS the said Agreement is provisional and has now been reviewed
AND WHEREAS it is desired to make provision for the continuance of the South Pacific Health Service established in accordance with the terms of the said Agreement
AND WHEREAS the Government of Fiji and the Western Pacific High Commission are authorized by His Majesty’s Government in the United Kingdom to conclude the present Agreement
NOW THEREFORE the Government of Fiji, the Western Pacific High Commission, and the Government of New Zealand AGREE as follows: -
1. The South Pacific Health Service shall extend and apply to the territories named in the Appendix hereto, and may, by agreement between the parties hereto, be extended and applied to other Pacific Island territories.
2. The South Pacific Board of Health, established pursuant to the said Agreement of the 7th day of September, 1946, shall continue to supervise and control the said service.
3. The said Board shall be constituted and shall carry out its duties in accordance with the several terms, conditions and understandings contained in Articles 3 to 9 inclusive of the said Agreement of the 7th day of September, 1946, provided however that those terms, conditions and understandings shall be subject to review and shall, at the instance of any party to the present Agreement, be reviewed by the parties hereto.
4. The present agreement, which replaces the said Agreement of the 7th day of September, 1946, shall enter into force on the 11th day of June, 1951, and shall continue in force until the 31st day of December, 1954.
ACCEPTED FOR AND ON BEHALF OF THE GOVERNMENT OF FIJI
ACCEPTED FOR AND ON BEHALF OF THE WESTERN PACIFIC HIGH COMMISSION
ACCEPTD FOR AND ON BEHALF OF THE GOVERNMENT OF NEW ZEALAND
1. Colony of Fiji
2. Western Pacific Territories:-
Gilbert and Ellice Islands Colony.
British Solomon Islands Protectorate.
Kingdom of Tonga.
3. New Zealand Island Territories:-
Cook Islands (including Niue).