Kiribati Sessional Legislation
Download original PDF
REPUBLIC OF KIRIBATI
(No. 5 of 1981)
(President I. Tabai)
AN ACT TO AMEND THE PRICES ORDINANCE
MADE by the Maneaba ni Maungatabu and assented to by the Beretitenti.
1. This Act may be cited as the Prices (Amendment) Act 1981.
Repeals and replaces section 3 of the principal Ordinance
2. Section 3 of the Prices Ordinance (hereinafter referred to as the principal Ordinance) is hereby repealed and the following section is substituted –
"Power of the Minister to prescribe the price of commodities
3. (1) The Minister may by order regulate the price for the sale by retail of the commodities listed in the Schedule, either generally or in any part of Kiribati specified in the order.
(2) The Minister may from time to time by order add commodities to or delete commodities from the Schedule".
Adds Schedule to the principal Ordinance
3. The principal Ordinance is amended by adding to it the following Schedule –
PRICES (AMENDMENT) ACT 1981
Section 3 of the Prices Ordinance (Cap. 75) empowers the Minister to regulate the retail prices of commodities listed in subsection (2).
From time to time the desirability arises of controlling the price of commodities other than those listed in the subsection, but at present any amendment to the list of commodities would require taking a Bill to the Maneaba ni Maungatabu.
1. It is felt that the Minister will be in a stronger position to protect consumers if he can add to or delete from the controlled commodities by order. This Bill, therefore, seeks to remove the controlled commodities into a new Schedule to the Ordinance, and enables the Minister to amend the Schedule by order.
15th January 1981