Kiribati Sessional Legislation
Download original PDF
REPUBLIC OF KIRIBATI
NEWSPAPER REGISTRATION (AMENDMENT) ACT 2004
(No. 2 of 2004)
AN ACT TO AMEND THE NEWSPAPER REGISTRATION ACT 1998
Made by the Maneaba ni Maungatabu and assented to by the Beretitenti.
1. This Act maybe cited as the Newspaper Registration (Amendment) Act 2004.
Amendment of section 2
2. Section 2 of the Newspaper Registration Act 1998 (hereinafter referred to as the "principal Act") is amended by repealing the definition of "Commission".
Amendment of section 17
3. Section 17 of the principal Act is amended as follows -
(a) by repealing subsection (1), so that the existing subsection (2) becomes the substantive section 17; and
(b) by deleting the words "or continue to operate after the Registrar has struck off its affidavit from the register".
Repeal of sections 18, 19, 20, 21 and 22
4. Sections 18, 19, 20, 21 and 22 of the principal Act are repealed.
Renumbering of section 23
5. Section 23 of the principal Act is renumbered as section 18.
THE NEWSPAPER REGISTRATION (AMENDMENT) ACT 2004
In 2002, an amendment to the Newspaper Registration Act (No 14 of 2002) was enacted transferring the register of newspapers from the hands of the Company Registrar to the Ministry responsible for matters relating to media and newspapers. It also established the Newspaper Complaints Commission to deal with complaints against newspapers who breached section 16 of the amending Act. It also recommends to the Registrar whether or not the newspaper breaching section 16 of the Act shall be de-registered.
The amending Act repeals the provisions setting up the Newspaper Complaints Commission and its functions.
It also takes away the power of the Registrar to strike off any newspaper breaching section 16 from the register.
In essence this amending Act preserves the duties of the newspapers as set out in section 16. Any newspaper contravening the provisions of section 16 commits a criminal offence and can only be prosecuted.