Fiji Promulgations and Decrees
THE REPUBLIC OF FIJI
DECREE NO. 25
APPOINTMENT OF HEAD OF STATE AND DISSOLUTION OF FIJI MILITARY GOVERNMENT DECREE 1987 (NO. 25)
IN exercise of the powers vested in me as Commander and Head of the Fiji Military Government, I hereby make the following decree:
1. This Decree may be cited as the Appointment of Head of State and Dissolution of Fiji Military Government Decree.
2. The Fiji Military Government and the Executive Council thereof are hereby dissolved.
3. The Office of Head of the Fiji Military Government is hereby abolished.
4. I hereby appoint Ratu Sir Penaia Kanatabatu Ganilau as the first President and Commander-in-Chief of the Republic of Fiji, who, until a Parliament of Fiji is elected in accordance with a Constitution yet to be adopted-
(i) shall have the power to appoint the Prime Minister by decree;
(ii) shall have the power to make laws for the peace, order and good government of Fiji by decree, acting in accordance with the advice of the Prime Minister and the Cabinet;
(iii) shall exercise the executive authority of Fiji which is hereby vested in him;
save as otherwise provided, that executive authority may be exercised in accordance with the advice of the Cabinet or by any Minister authorised by the Cabinet.
5.(i) The Prime Minister or any Minister authorised by the Cabinet may consult the President in relation to any decree proposed to be made;
(ii) The Prime Minister shall keep the President fully informed concerning the general conduct of the Government of Fiji and shall furnish the President with such information as he may request with respect to any particular matter relating to the Government of Fiji.
6. In this Decree-
"Constitution yet to be adopted" means the full written Constitution to be drawn up to replace the Fiji Constitution 1970, to be adopted by the people of Fiji in such manner as the Government of Fiji may in the future determine, but which for the purpose of identification only will comprise Schedule I to this Decree as an when the President by decree provides.
7. This Decree shall come into effect on 5th December 1987.
BRIGADIER-GENERAL SITIVENI LIGAMAMADA RABUKA, O.B.E (Mil)
Commander and Head of the Fiji Military Government